Preparing Lumpia is actually easy. The only downside to some, is that the wrapping part is quite a time consuming process. It’s also a learning task on how to perfectly wrap them one piece at a time, although, it’s not that hard to practice. Other than that, with the rightly flavored dip, you’ll enjoy every bite of her Lumpia sa Hipon deliciously, succulent taste.
One of Millie’s best Lumpia recipes is her Shrimp Eggrolls. Her Lumpia sa Hipon has this succulently juice taste that’s so good to the last bite. Instead of chicken, she used chopped fresh shrimps along with chopped celery, carrots, garlic and onions, seasoned it with salt and pepper, wrapped and deep-fried until golden brown.
Ingredients: yields 12-25 pieces
2 lbs. of fresh shrimps, chopped in medium sizes
1 bundle of celery, cleaned & chopped
3-4 large, chopped carrots
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 medium chopped onion
salt & pepper to taste
1 scrambled egg
- Wash, clean, devein and chop fresh shrimps, then combine with all the other chopped vegetable ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, then thoroughly mix to combine.
- Open the eggroll wrappers packet, start separating each wrapper gently, to avoid tearing them apart. Keep wrappers moist by covering them with a clean moist towel to prevent them from drying up.
- Crack open and scramble the egg on a medium bowl. Place one eggroll wrapper sheet on a clean flat surface or a plate, positioning the lumpia wrapper to a diamond shape, with one of the corner tips pointed towards you.
- Horizontally spread 1-2 tablespoons of the mixed ingredients on the lower part of the wrapper(part that’s closer to you, but leave enough space on the edge that will allow you to fold the tip facing you, as the first step to secure the Lumpia fillings.
- Next, grab the left and right corners of the wrapper towards the center, tuck both ends in, then gently roll the closed fillings towards the top edge of the wrapper.
- Once wrapped, seal the top edge by brushing it with the scrambled egg. Press the tip down to stick with the opposite edge of the wrapper to finally secure the fillings. Repeat the same procedure until every portion of the shrimp lumpia recipe is wrapped.
- Heat up enough oil on a deep pan to prepare the deep-frying process. Use a tong to fry each wrapped shrimp Lumpia (Filipino Shrimp Eggroll) until golden brown.
- Place each fried Shrimp Lumpia on a paper towel-covered strainer. Let each piece drain excess oil on the towel to remove the grease, prior to serving. Serve this Lumpia sa Hipon, hot or cold as an appetizer or a side dish.
Tip: Use spicy vinegar with fish sauce as an alternative to sweet and sour, Lumpia(eggroll) dip. If for any reason, a filled lumpia wrapper breaks, simply use another piece and wrap it over without removing the broken piece.