It’s the Filipino version of a meatloaf recipe called, Embutido. A meatloaf recipe is simple in which, ground meat is mixed with selected spices, formed in a shape like that of a loaf of bread, wrapped in aluminum foil, then baked at a certain temperature to cook. The Filipino meatloaf version on the other hand, which in this case, ground pork, is stuffed with several ingredients including, chopped carrots, onions, garlic, raisins, pickled relish, battered eggs, boiled eggs and spices. The similar part between the two recipes, is where Ground Pork Embutido is also formed into a loaf shape, wrapped in aluminum foil then baked to perfection.
Ground Pork Embutido is sometimes confused with the Spanish dish called Morcon, due to their appearance, but Morcon is actually a slice of steak, rolled around cheese and vegetable fillings. Millie’s Ground Pork Embutido recipe is rich in flavor, deliciously filled with the necessary ingredients of an authentic Filipino meatloaf recipe, that everyone can enjoy.
Ingredients: 4-6 servings
1 pack (1and1/2lbs ) of ground pork
1 stick of carrot chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of chopped garlic
1/2 cup of raisins
Salt & pepper to taste
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of sweet pickled relish
4 boiled eggs
1 ft. long aluminum foil
- Boil 3 eggs out of 4, and cool off. Peel and cut the boiled eggs in about 1/2 an inch thick set it aside. Save the 1 fresh egg for the stuffed meat mixture.
- Set the oven to 375F. Place all ingredients in the mixing bowl, beat the one remaining egg and add it to ground pork and the rest of other ingredients. Mix thoroughly to evenly combine using your hands.
- Cut the ground pork mixture in half. Place the first half on the foot long aluminum foil. Slightly flatten the mixture, apply pieces of slice boiled eggs on top of the flattened meat mixture.
- Use the last portion of the meat mixture to cover the eggs by placing them on top. Wrap and roll the mixture with the foil, forming an elongated shape like that of a loaf of bread. Lock it with another sheet of aluminum foil, if needed.
- Put the rolled Ground Pork Embutido recipe mix on a baking sheet. Place the sheet on the middle rack of the oven, then bake it at 375F for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from heat when baked. Carefully open the foil cover, slice the loaf in medium sized pieces, then serve with steamed rice, or baked potatoes and veggies. Excitingly good!
Tip: Other than baking, this Filipino meatloaf recipe can be steamed up to 50 minutes. Others apply sliced Filipino hotdogs besides the sliced boiled eggs.