You can use different vegetable ingredients with yummy Pork Sinigang. If you’re diet conscious but craving for this delicious Pork Sour Soup, using less fat pork riblets for your Sinigang may be a good idea for you, just like Millie’s delicious Siningang na Baboy.
Instead of the normal pork belly cubes, Millie used reduced fat, pork riblets, simmered in tamarind sauce, then garnished her yummy Pork Sinigang or Pork Sour Soup with spinach leaves, minced ginger, sliced radishes and eggplants. This makes me crave for delicious, pork riblets Sinigang, right now!
Ingredients: 3-4 servings
1.5 lbs. lean pork riblets
1 bundle of spinach leaves
2-3 whole red globes radishes, sliced
2 slender eggplants, sliced(available at Asian stores)
1 cup fresh tamarind juice or broth
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 medium, sliced onions
1 medium, sliced tomato
1 medium Anaheim pepper
1 thumb sized, ginger slices
1-2 cups water
salt & pepper to taste
- First, boil a bag full(16 oz.) of fresh tamarind fruits to use as the sour condiment. Squeeze the juice, using a strainer, separating juice from its pulp. Set aside. Clean and slice lean pork riblets in singles and set aside.
- Heat oil on a deep pot over a medium heat. Sautee onions and garlic stir for a minute or 2, until browned. Apply sliced tomatoes and stir to combine ingredients.
- Follow up with the sliced pork riblets and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, then stir a few times to thoroughly combine ingredients. Cover pot with its lid, and let it boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Apply 1 cup of the fresh tamarind broth or juice. Stir a few times to combine. Add sliced gingers, radishes and Anaheim pepper, then stir to combine. Leave it boiling for 3-5 minute, then pour a cup or so, of water.
- Combine all ingredients, then cover it with a lid one more time to let it simmer for another 35-40 minutes, or until pork is tender.
- Open up the lid and apply slices of eggplants, stir to combine and leave it boiling for 3-5 minutes. Apply fresh spinach leaves on top, cover it with the lid and allow spinach to slightly cook.
- Remove the lid, stir to combine spinach with all ingredients and let it cook for a 1-2 minutes until cooked. Do not overcook.
- Turn off the heat. Transfer this yummy Pork Riblets Sinigang or Sinigang na Baboy on a deep bowl and serve it hot with steamed rice.
Tip: Pour 3-4 tablespoon of fish sauce on a small dipping bowl, apply a squeeze of lime or lemon and use it as a condiment. If fresh tamarind fruits are not available, tamarind mix(sampaloc mix) are available in packets at any Asian store.