A popular Filipino snack that’s sweet, crunchy on the outside and soft inside. Janis’s delicious Turon recipe or Banana Fritter with sweet jackfruit slices, is made with Saba bananas, coated in brown or white sugar, rolled in lumpia or eggroll wrappers, then crispy-fried to perfection. Adding ripe, sliced jackfruit to the filling creates not just a flavorful aroma, but delicious flavor to it. Simple to make, but it provides an appetizingly delicious snack, your family will love.
Ingredients: yields up to 6 fritters
3 Saba bananas, cut in halves
1 cup brown sugar(white sugar if desired)
1 cup sliced ripe jackfruit
8 pieces lumpia wrappers
1/1 tsp powdered white sugar
1 cup cooking oil
- Peel off 4 pieces of ripe Saba bananas. Slice each in halves lengthwise, producing up to 6 pieces, then set them aside.
- Pour 1 cup of brown sugar on a large bowl. Place each piece of the sliced bananas(one at a time), and roll over the sugar a few times to completely sugar coat evenly.
- Place one of each bananas on a piece of lumpia wrapper, add at least 2 slices of the jackfruit on top of the banana.
- Start folding the first edge of the wrapper that’s pointed towards you, then fold the left and right ends towards the banana fillings.
- Seal it by brushing the open top side of the wrapper with water. Press it tight, enough to secure the fillings inside.
- On a heated oil, carefully drop 1 batch of Turon(banana fritter) and fry. When the bottom side of Turon starts to brown, flip the top side to do the same.
- Sprinkle desired amount of sugar on top of the browned side. The sugar will start to caramelize. When both sides are browned, flip Turon or banana fritters a couple more times to allow the sugar to stick on both sides of the wrapper.
- Remove the first batch when done and do the same to the next. Allow the leftover caramel sugar on the pan to be utilized by the next batch of Turons. You can add more, if desired.
- Transfer fried Turon on a towel covered strainer to drain excess oil prior to serving. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on each and spread a small amount of pancake sauce on top. Serve this delicious Banana Fritters with Sweet Jackfruits, warm and enjoy!
Tip: You have a choice to make a delicious Turon recipe or Saba Banana Fritters with or without jackfruit slices added. Serve it as either snack or dessert.